December 28, 2009

2009 Dumb Disclaimer of the Year

Filed under: Internet,Retail — Edgar (aka MrConsumer) @ 6:13 am

Every so often one comes upon an offer that has such a ridiculous disclaimer that it might make you laugh out loud. So we end the year, hopefully with a chuckle.

The top-of-the-line credit card from Visa is the Visa Signature card. Among its benefits are discounts for various purchases, including a generous buy one, get one free movie ticket offer from Fandango.com . All you do is enter the first six digits of your Visa card on their website to see if you are eligible for the free ticket. (Bargain hint: some non-Signature Visas work too.)

Of course, one has to be a good consumer and understand the terms and conditions of the offer before plunging ahead with such a major purchase.

Duh? So the chauffeured limo I just rented to get to the theater won’t be free? What about the clothing I wear to the movies? Or the dinner we have afterwards?

Darn. I surely would have thought all that stuff was free too.

Happy 2010.

1. A great chuckle! A great Mouse Print ending for 2009!

Wishing all a happy, healthy and very consumer friendly 2010.

Comment by Frankie — December 28, 2009 @ 10:52 am
  2. This one really made my Monday, thank you.

Did they really think there’d be some lawsuit over this? Or one that would have any chance of going anywhere? I’ll be shaking my head and laughing about this one the rest of the day. I end by saying, re-read my first sentence.

Comment by Ron — December 28, 2009 @ 2:58 pm
  3. Well the probably sad truth is that they’ve had to field questions about that very subject from customers. People will try anything.

Comment by ryan — December 29, 2009 @ 3:10 am
  4. Another dumb disclaimer that I really get a kick out of is the one on curling irons and straighteners that says do not use while sleeping. duh!

Comment by Renee — December 29, 2009 @ 9:49 am
  5. A retail sign I wish I had seen: “SHOES!!! Buy one, get one free.”

Comment by Mr. Chris Robin — December 30, 2009 @ 8:41 pm
  6. I used to laugh at these. Then I got to wondering…”is that warning on there because someone actually did that?” After I started looking at every stupid disclaimer that way I began laughing harder imaging someone actually pulling that off.

I just picture some idiot in court trying to sue fandango because they didn’t say transportation wasn’t free.

Comment by Mike — December 31, 2009 @ 12:35 pm
  7. odd that they don’t say food is not free as well.

Comment by Joe the — January 2, 2010 @ 5:11 pm