February 6, 2012

Glad Bags Downsized

Filed under: Downsizing,Retail — Edgar (aka MrConsumer) @ 6:09 am

Being aware that Mouse Print* regularly reports on downsized products, 12-year old reader Jared G. wrote to us having spotted large boxes of Glad Bags that no longer had as many bags as previously.

MrConsumer asked him to go back to the store, and to act as our special correspondent on the scene, and show us what he found.

Here is Jared’s report…

Wow, wow, wow. What a smart kid! I asked Jared how he came to know about consumer things, and what his views were on spending money. It turns out he learned to be a good shopper from his mother, who homeschools him.

“Regarding consumery things, my mother taught me about pricing and labels, scams, deals, and other shopping paraphernalia, at about eight years old. My money opinions are simple. Your expenses should always be lower or equal to your income.”

Is this a budding consumer advocate or the next Suze Orman (minus the debit card), or what?

Back to Glad bags. MrConsumer took a trip to BJ’s and it revealed that this was not the only Glad product that had been downsized.

We asked Glad to explain why they had downsized so many products. We’re still waiting for an answer.

1. 1. The answer will of course contain the idea that in some way it is better for the consumer.

2. Bravo to Jared! One thing he WON’T be, with thoughts like that, is a politician — that’s a good thing. We can’t change ‘em, so the only way out is to run out of ‘em.

Comment by Bob@thenest — February 6, 2012 @ 9:24 am
  2. Bravo not only to Jared, but doubly so to his mom as well. In addition to educating children about finances and budgets (which she seems to be doing as well), teaching them to be smart shoppers is just as important. I hope she’s also teaching him to do the unit pricing himself and NOT just rely on the shelf tag. I’ve seen people say it’s just too time consuming to properly compare items w/o realizing how much that little bit of extra time is actually worth.

Keep up the good work, Jared and Jared’s Mom.

Edgar replies: Ron, you will be very pleased to know that Jared’s mother makes him calculate unit prices IN HIS HEAD! She has taught him that “calculators are for lazy people.”

Comment by Ron — February 6, 2012 @ 9:42 am
  3. Another product that’s been downsized significantly is the “Call America” prepaid calling card offered by Fred Meyer’s (it’s a Kroger store and Kroger card).

It was 1000 minutes for $30 but it is now 800 minutes for $30. When I asked at the store’s Customer Services desk why the change, I was told, “That’s what they sent us.” When I e-mailed Kroger, I received no reply at all.

Comment by Jamie — February 6, 2012 @ 10:22 am
  4. I must admit that these downsizing stories are getting old. We get it…companies are making packing smaller.

Edgar replies: Sorry, Tim, but one of the continuing features of Mouse Print* to showcase products that have been downsized. This is much the same way that a consumer or safety site might update its list of recalled products.

Comment by Tim — February 6, 2012 @ 10:37 am
  5. This kid is fantastic! He’s a natural replacement for Timmy Geitner. I bet he’ll even pay his taxes when he’s old enough to work.

Comment by Marty — February 6, 2012 @ 11:25 am
  6. Another product that’s downsized but remained at the same or higher price is C&H Sugar. No more 5# bags, they are all 4# these days.

Comment by Jon — February 6, 2012 @ 11:28 am
  7. No answer from Glad? You already have it. The answer is always the same: “Consumer convenience.” “Studies show…”

Comment by Marty — February 6, 2012 @ 11:28 am
  8. Three cheers for Jared and his Mom! She should teach parenting skills to other parents!

Comment by Kathleen — February 6, 2012 @ 1:50 pm
  9. Congratulations to Jared and his mom…great job done by both of them!

Comment by Peggy — February 6, 2012 @ 4:18 pm
  10. Hats off to Jared and his mom!! Not only is he consumer savvy, but he is articulate as well!! Can I borrow him to teach my 13 year old some vocabulary and give me some shopping tips? I do enjoy seeing what’s new in Mouseprint every week and I do especially enjoy the downsizing stories. Sometimes I’m so busy trying to get out of the store I don’t look at the sizes unless it’s obvious, like those 6 pack of miniature candy bars that used to be 8 packs and 10 before that.

Comment by Stephanie — February 6, 2012 @ 4:42 pm
  11. I think it is safe to say that these companies are simply raising their prices, for whatever reason (higher production costs, corporate greed, etc.). Jared’s advice is spot on, “if you can find the 264 pack at your BJ’s, you should pick them up.” But if we can’t find the 264 pack, and we still need to buy Glad Bags, we’re just going to have to choose from the options available to us. Maybe we can fight the machine and force Glad to sell the 264 pack again, but it will undoubtedly come at a higher price. And that puts us back in the same boat.

Comment by Toddy541 — February 6, 2012 @ 4:54 pm
  12. Maybe it’s time to buy the store brand. There ARE alternatives to Glad Bags. Usually, the store brands are just as good and much cheaper.

Comment by BobL — February 7, 2012 @ 2:58 pm
  13. cute video…

Yeah buy the store brand and then over time see that get smaller and smaller as well. You can’t win…

Comment by Richard Ginn — February 9, 2012 @ 2:52 pm