June 10, 2013

The Straight Poop about Miralax’s Ad

Filed under: Health,Retail — Edgar (aka MrConsumer) @ 6:29 am

If you are all clogged up (or about to have a colonoscopy), you need a laxative. One such product is Miralax, which has been advertising regularly on TV recently.

In their television ad, they repeatedly advertise with the catch-phrase, “Don’t wait to feel great.” They also say “feel better sooner,” and “why let constipation weigh you down” (as depicted by a big red bag).

Miralax

One might assume, therefore, that this was a quick-acting product to give you fast relief from constipation. But you know what happens when you assume, and don’t read the fine print…

Miralax

If you have to wait for up to three days before this stuff works, you may need a forklift to carry around that big red bag.

1. I’m pretty sure 1-3 days would be considered waiting if one is constipated now. That fine print seems opposed to the advertisement, but I guess Miralax can argue that “don’t wait” and “sooner” are up to interpretation. Too much leeway in those terms.

If you really want to rid yourself of constipation you’d do like my grandmother does and take a couple spoonfuls of castor oil. Now that’s dedication. That stuff is so unappealing that your intestines will want to get rid of it immediately.

Comment by Wayne R — June 10, 2013 @ 8:49 am
  2. Common sense tells me that it’s a gross misprint – shouldn’t that be hours?

And speaking of misprints, that should be red bag, not red bad in the top paragraphs.

Comment by Frankie — June 10, 2013 @ 10:39 am
  3. I think it was the comedian that joked “All Ex Lax is is bad chocolate”. LOL

Comment by Grant — June 10, 2013 @ 11:49 am
  4. You folks need to stick to “real attempts” to hide or deceive. This product does neither. It is clearly written on the label and is
    not hidden or deceptive. It does not claim to be a fast acting product. It has been a miracle for those needing it and I have known more than a few that credit this product with making their lives more productive and with better quality.
    You should stick to the real issues with companies that try to hide or deceive by shrinking, watering down or make promises they cannot deliver. There are many of them out there!
    Thank you!

Comment by Lynn Holland — June 10, 2013 @ 5:46 pm
  5. “It does not claim to be a fast acting product.”

Yes it does, Lynn. To me, “Don’t wait to feel great” makes a claim that it’s a fast acting product. How about this: “It’s worth the wait to feel great.”

Comment by Joe — June 10, 2013 @ 9:27 pm
  6. Although Miralax’ commercials may seem off-base to you, I have prescribed Miralax (especially in its generic form, polyethylene glycol 3350) for years because it is one of the safest and most effect stool softeners/laxatives available to my patients.

I do not think MSD Consumer Care, Inc., Miralax’ parent company, is trying to deceive anyone. They’re just trying to drum up business for a fine product.

P.S. I have no financial connection with MSD or any other pharmaceutical company.

Mark Gary Blumenthal, MD, MPH

Comment by Mark Blumenthal, MD, MPH — June 12, 2013 @ 7:21 am
  7. 1-3 days????
    I can achieve the desired effect by eating at McDonalds. Instead of 1-3 days, it takes about 1-3 hours.

Comment by Jack — June 12, 2013 @ 8:36 pm
  8. There are plenty of non-medicated, home remedies for constipation that work quite well in 24 hours or less…..which is much faster than this “mira”cle “lax”ative. I’ve never used any medication for constipation; I’ve always used natural laxatives. It may be a “fine product” Dr.Blumenthal, but by the time you prescribe it, a patient coming to you is in need of medical attention. The ad is for people who aren’t seeing a doctor – and they get the false impression they will be moving soon…not up to 3 days later.

The deception from the company here is not that the stuff works, but they imply it works fast – faster than alternatives – and that is just plain wrong.

BTW, if someone is so constipated that they haven’t had a movement in several days, they really need to see a physician….there’s something seriously wrong.

Comment by Eric — June 13, 2013 @ 9:25 am
  9. I eat lots of broccoli, problem solved!

Comment by Peter — June 13, 2013 @ 12:26 pm