November 24, 2014

How Many One-A-Day Vitamins is Right to Take?

Filed under: Food/Groceries,Health,Retail — Edgar (aka MrConsumer) @ 7:03 am

I know, what a dumb question. That’s like asking how many musketeers were in the three musketeers.

JCD, a regular Mouse Print* reader, brought up the issue in the context of One-A-Day vitamins.

One-A-Day

One would expect that you take one per day, right?

One-A-Day back

Nope… you have to take two.

You have to wonder how many people under-dosed on these vitamins because they reasonably assumed that the whole point of One-A-Day is to take one per day. Even at that, you are still not getting 100% of the daily requirement of some of the vitamins in the product.

Bottom line: don’t assume.

ADV

1. This reminds me of my Autoweek magazine subscription. For years, Auto”week” arrived weekly. Then when I renewed a couple of years ago, I noticed some issues weren’t delivered. I called and was advised that the publishing schedule was NOW “bi-weekly.” I had made an assumption and hadn’t read their updated “fine print.” There was silence when I suggested a title change.

Comment by Marty — November 24, 2014 @ 9:02 am
  2. I’m sure their argument is like Subways saying “One a Day” is just a name, it doesn’t mean anything, just like “foot long” didn’t mean 12 inches.

Comment by Max — November 24, 2014 @ 9:19 am
  3. Well, you’re still taking at least one a day.

I’m curious how many people bought this product and decided to take one a day without reading the label.

Edgar replies: Well, Wayne, then maybe they should rename the product “At Least One-A-Day” !

Comment by Wayne R — November 24, 2014 @ 10:42 am
  4. “More Than One A Day”

AND it makes it sound as though the product may have got bigger. Win-win-win.

Comment by Mel — November 24, 2014 @ 11:45 am
  5. I remember falling for this a few years ago when my brother and I were taking them. I noticed after a few weeks they seemed to be going faster than I would’ve expected and my brother pointed out the instructions saying to take two daily. When I protested that the brand name was misleading he said “it’s just a brand name, not the directions” and suggested it might refer to taking the two gummies once daily.

Anyhow, the next weekend I compared other vitamins and found that a dose of two gummies daily seems to be more or less the industry standard for gummy vitamins. Still, with the huge brand name on the front seeming to suggest otherwise I felt they should’ve made it more clear on the front of the packaging that it’s not referring to taking only one of the gummies a day.

Comment by William O — November 24, 2014 @ 9:27 pm
  6. Solution: Eat a healthy balanced diet and don’t waste money on pills or gummy animals.

Comment by Marty — November 24, 2014 @ 10:23 pm
  7. They would probably just say the “One Serving a Day” was too big for the label.

Comment by Lane — November 25, 2014 @ 11:55 am
  8. It’s just a brand name. I take these, and I always look to the serving size printed on the drug/nutrition facts rather than what the label wants me to see.

Comment by Vedran — November 27, 2014 @ 9:47 am

Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. Advertisements are copyrighted by their respective owners.