January 9, 2017

T-Mobile Intros Honest Pricing

Filed under: Electronics,Humor,Telephone — Edgar (aka MrConsumer) @ 6:15 am

Last week, T-Mobile announced something novel in the postpaid cellphone industry — the price you see advertised is the price you will actually pay on your bill — all taxes and fees included! And they did this by absorbing those charges not raising their prices.

For years, it has been an obnoxious game played by cell providers, cable companies, and rental car companies to grab your attention with a seeming low price, but then jack up the bill with all sorts of junk fees and taxes. And the real costs were never fully disclosed even in the mouse print of the advertising.

To dramatize the deceptive nature of these pricing ploys, T-Mobile released this short video:

To demonstrate how fees and taxes inflate customers’ bills, TMO offers a comparison.

TMO comparison

But lest you think that T-Mobile has completely found consumer religion, plans other than T-Mobile One still play the old game.

taxes and fees extra

Nonetheless, hats off to T-Mobile for taking the first step to bringing transparent pricing to cell service.

ADV

1. “T-Mobile One” is a new product with its new “all in” feature. The Mouse Print example show the old “Simple Choice” plan, which would have different terms.

Comment by JD — January 9, 2017 @ 10:19 am
  2. I was getting ready to pat T-mobile on the back until the advertisement made it clear that the simple pricing was only part of the T-mobile ONE plan. I’d like to see T-mobile make an effort to use that pricing in all of their plans before they receive congratulations.

That being said, I am a T-mobile customer because I like their network plans more than I like others.

Comment by Wayne R — January 9, 2017 @ 12:24 pm
  3. Now if can only get cable TV to do the same thing.

Comment by richard — January 9, 2017 @ 2:17 pm
  4. That goes for enterprise car rentals also. They add an additional $114 for fees to my contract excluding insurance. Then they add a fee twice to a toll fee because my transponder had not arrived during Massachusetts’s big changeover to automatic toll taking.

Comment by Nancy Sing — January 9, 2017 @ 2:54 pm
  5. I’ve been enjoying this for years by using prepaid. It’s good to see T-Mobile trying this on a postpaid plan, but the One plan has been receiving a lot of criticism for being less than honest. All video is throttled to 480p unless an additional fee is paid.

If J.C. Penney’s experiment with honest pricing is any indication, including taxes and fees in the advertised price will not become a staple of cellular service.

Comment by Marc K — January 14, 2017 @ 12:41 am
  6. I moved from another carrier to T-Mobile, using T-Mobile One for a family of 4. A few days later we decided that it wasn’t working as well as our previous carrier, so I moved our phones back. T-Mobile charged me $220 (plus setup fees) for 8 days of service. They charged the full $160 for the billing period even though we only used the service for a few days. I haven’t been able to track down what the other $60 is supposed to be for.

Comment by Kai Hintze — January 17, 2017 @ 12:22 pm

Copyright © 2006-2017. All rights reserved. Advertisements are copyrighted by their respective owners.