mouseprint: fine print of advertising

Follow us both on Twitter:
@consumerworld

June 22, 2020

Gov’t Video on Mask Decontamination Disclaims Its Own Advice

Filed under: Health — Edgar (aka MrConsumer) @ 5:37 am

With the shortage of PPE continuing in some areas, the Department of Homeland Security just released an instructional video on how to decontaminate N95 masks at home so they can be reused.

They want you to cook them in a paper bag over simmering water in an Instant Pot (a Crock-Pot-like slow cooker). MrConsumer is not making this up.

Before the instructional part of the video begins, however, Uncle Sam tries to socially distance himself from you if their method backfires.

N95 decontamination disclaimer

It basically says that the federal government doesn’t guarantee this system will work, and if it fails or you screw up, don’t blame us because you have assumed all the risk.

I wonder where they got the idea to have people waive their rights if they get sick?

1. LAWYER 101:
    “Best practices…at own risk.”

Comment by Marty — June 22, 2020 @ 6:35 am
  2. “The most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.'” Ronald Reagan

Comment by Marty — June 22, 2020 @ 6:45 am
  3. One effective way (from several sources)
    is to heat your mask in a toaster oven
    keep it covered the whole time so it doesn’t
    touch any coils.
    Heat to a temperature of 150-175 degrees F
    for 20-45 minutes. I used the highest temp
    for the longest time.

The mask (if paper) won’t burn (remember
    Farenheit 451).

Comment by Rob — June 22, 2020 @ 9:38 am
  4. It sounds like something from the department of security theater!

My wife made up some cloth masks without metal in them. We just pop them in the microwave for a few minutes

Comment by jamie — June 22, 2020 @ 10:59 am
  5. Marty, I take note that you quote Ronald Reagan. I remind you that he is the man who said that ketchup is a vegetable.

Comment by hmc — June 22, 2020 @ 1:48 pm
  6. It’s a statement of how litigious the country is. People want to help, but don’t want to be sued for it. Look at software license agreements. They all say that the software is not guaranteed to work correctly.

I had a thought that when I sell me home, how helpful it would be to put together a list of the common fall and sprint maintenance. It would be super helpful to have that list. But then I thought what if something in there is not correct and the buyer comes after me for not properly maintaining it? So, if I do it, I’ll have to get a lawyer to put together terms and a disclaimer.

Comment by MarcK1024 — June 23, 2020 @ 7:55 am
  7. Boiling and steaming are both recommended by Dr. Peter Tsai, one of the people who developed the N95 masks.

Sadly his university replaced his original article with a link to a new website they’ve set up, but I found an article quoting it: https://www.msn.com/en-za/health/medical/how-to-clean-and-reuse-an-n95-mask/ar-BB12pavj

Comment by Gordon — June 25, 2020 @ 1:10 pm

Mouse Print exposes the strings and catches buried in the fine print of advertising.
Copyright © 2006-2020. All rights reserved. Advertisements are copyrighted by their respective owners.