January 20, 2014

Tropicana Farmstand Fruit/Veggie Juice Surprises

Filed under: Food/Groceries,Health,Retail — Edgar (aka MrConsumer) @ 6:03 am

Tropicana has a new juice on the market called Farmstand. It is a “100% fruit and vegetable juice” which the company says provides one serving of fruit and one serving of vegetables in every eight-ounce glass.

It comes in such luscious-sounding flavors as Peach Mango, Strawberry Banana, and Pomegranate Blueberry.

Tropicana Farmstand

When looking at the ingredients statement, it may come as a surprise that there is not a lot of strawberry or banana in the product above.

Tropicana Farmstand

Besides water, the primary ingredient is sweet potato juice. Sweet potato juice? Yep. And it has more grape, apple and carrot juice than either strawberry or banana.

Tropicana’s other two Farmstand varieties also are composed primarily of water and sweet potato juice, with the product’s named fruits way down the list of ingredients.

For all MrConsumer knows, these juices are wonderfully tasty compared to the V8s of the world. But funny how the primary ingredient — sweet potato — is almost hidden and not clearly identifiable on both the product label and in their display advertising.

1. Sometimes I think food manufacturers are purposely trying to insult consumer intelligence. It says right on the ingredient label that the product is more grape juice and sweet potato juice than strawberry or banana.

Perhaps the strawberry and banana has a stronger flavor than the others and doesn’t have to be as concentrated? There is probably some chemistry going on here that wouldn’t be obvious to a common person.

Comment by Wayne R — January 20, 2014 @ 8:54 am
  2. C’mon, it’s all about marketing to consumer tastes. What customer ever said “Mmmmm, I’m feelin’ like some delicious sweet potato and beet juice today”? I’m sure those commodities are far cheaper than the strawberries and bananas that attract the buyer; which explains their predominance in the ingredients. Tropicana lost my business at “reconstituted.”

Comment by Marty — January 20, 2014 @ 9:57 am
  3. Is anyone besides me scratching his head over the section of the ingredient list that says “strawberry puree and red beet juice (filtered water, clarified sweet potato juice, …, and red beet juice concentrates)”? After the first list that begins with the sweet potato juice and ends with red beet juice, why do we have that second parenthetical list? My guess is that they are saying that everything from “sweet potato juice” through “red beet juice” is REALLY water plus the rest of the parenthetical list. Add in “natural flavors” (next on the list) and it seems to me that this product is essentially flavored water with some juice concentrates thrown in. I’ll pass.

Comment by Richard P — January 20, 2014 @ 12:34 pm
  4. Same thing occurs with a lot of fruit juice sold though:

Apple Juice shows up cranberry juice??

Apple juice shows up in grape juice??

As long as they have some Strawberry and Banana in Strawberry Banana juice they are not breaking any laws, but they are sure not being 100% truthful.

Comment by Richard Ginn — January 20, 2014 @ 12:54 pm
  5. It is still 100% juice and all the ingredients are good for you. No added sugar, no high fructose corn syrup. As long as it tastes like the labeled flavor just enjoy. Personally I don’t drink fruit juices any more because of the high sugar content. The juice is mostly sugar from the fruit. Better off eating those fruits and veggies whole.

Comment by Susan — January 20, 2014 @ 1:47 pm
  6. I don’t see anything wrong with it. Sweet potatoes and beets are very healthy.

Comment by Anna Bender — January 20, 2014 @ 4:06 pm
  7. I’m going with the last two posters (Susan and Anna).

As long as I know that I’m not consuming processed corn syrup and cane sugar I feel somewhat better. Yes, I know the fruits veggies are better for you, but most times you can’t consume all of the fruits and veggies you need. I’m currently on Chemo/Radiation and need to consume 3 – 4 quarts of fluid replacement daily, so why not make it tasty.

Comment by J.R. Manning — January 20, 2014 @ 7:28 pm
  8. Actually doesn’t sound bad. Except “natural flavors”. That can mean anything including stuff straight from a chemistry lab or meat flavors in a vegetable drink. Why do they need to add it??

Comment by Nancy — January 21, 2014 @ 9:25 am
  9. If you look at the print for most juices they usually contain good amounts of apple juice. Why apple? Its an easy sweetener that is ‘natural’. Natural if you consider only the sugar juice from the apple and all the pulp thrown out. If I want apple juice I will buy that its usually cheaper.

Comment by me — January 23, 2014 @ 11:56 am
  10. The whole point of the juices is to provide one serving of vegetables and one serving of fruit, as the label says in big print. Of course it’s going to contain more than just the ingredients required for flavor. You’re the one being misleading here, not Tropicana.

Comment by anon — January 25, 2014 @ 6:20 pm
  11. Apple and Grape juices (and sometimes pear juice too) are stand-ins for sugar in “100%” juices. I’ve never heard of Sweet Potato juice, but perhaps it’s the vegetable version of sugar stand-ins. I wonder why corn syrup is not considered a juice. Would be cheaper to just add that. Corn is sort of a vegetable, isn’t it?

Comment by BZ — January 29, 2014 @ 2:56 pm