mouseprint: fine print of advertising

Follow us both on Twitter:
@consumerworld

April 20, 2020

Frontier Airlines Hides Its Refund Option

Filed under: Travel — Edgar (aka MrConsumer) @ 5:55 am

During the coronavirus pandemic, the Department of Transportation reminded air carriers that they had an obligation to provide refunds (not merely vouchers for future travel) when a flight is cancelled or is significantly delayed.

One traveler whose flight was significantly delayed by Frontier Airlines posted this cellphone screenshot showing the options he was offered:

Frontier change options

The airline is offering a full credit voucher and a $50 bonus, both good toward future travel. But do you see that unreadable bit of fine print on the very bottom? We have enlarged it many times below.

Frontier refund

Only if you saw that inconspicuous link could you apply for a full refund.

Come on, Frontier, be straight with passengers about all their options when flights are delayed or cancelled.

1. A true example of “mouse print”!

I have mixed feelings about the reticence of the airlines to provide cash refunds; they don’t have the cash and are trying to survive by promoting cash alternatives.

Comment by JJones — April 20, 2020 @ 7:26 am
  2. This is pretty scummy. Especially considering the current world events. I know that basically every air carrier is operating on fumes right now, but that’s no excuse. I’ve always thought of Frontier as a lower tier carrier, but this is scummy.

Comment by Joel — April 20, 2020 @ 8:17 am
  3. It’s really telling that Frontier did not include refunds in the part of the text where they explicit list customer options.

This is a case of classic mouseprint. Good catch.

Comment by Wayne — April 20, 2020 @ 9:31 am
  4. Didn’t the airlines get a substantial amount of money from the 2TRILLION dollar bailout?

I don’t have too much sympathy for the airlines since they have been nickel and diming us for many years (baggage fees, seat selection fee, change a flight fees, etc). You get the gist of my comment. Not to mention the “sit on your neighbors lap” seating.

The DOT told them to REFUND fares. The shouldn’t make the refund a test of the customers eyesight.

Comment by bobl — April 20, 2020 @ 12:31 pm
  5. Imagine this. People at Frontier sat around a conference table and actually discussed making the font so tiny that consumers would miss it. This is an elegantly simple example of how big companies sometimes want to cheat us,

Comment by HMC — April 20, 2020 @ 10:13 pm
  6. I never noticed that mouse print and I have a pretty good eye. They burned me for $819.20. I canceled and thought I was taking a $119.00 per ticket cancel fee and getting the balance of $581.20 credited to my card. That never happened so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and called them. 45 minutes later some off shore guy hung up on me. I dug into their site a little and re-canceled the flight and requested a refund. They may have recharged my account. What do you think?

Comment by Elliott — April 24, 2020 @ 5:06 pm
  7. i had an airline change my connecting flight to depart earlier than my originating flight so they promised a refund…March 3rd.
    despite politely enquires from myself and travel agent i have seen nothing. when you book the flight you pay long before you ever get onna plane. yet when the airline promises you a refund you wait forever and ever.

i understand they are all suffering financially during the pandemic but i own a business also i never gaid paid in advance and if a customer overpays or is due a refund for something i pay them instantly. it is NOT MY MONEY SO WHY SHOULD I KEEP IT .?

Comment by rich — May 3, 2020 @ 11:44 am

Mouse Print exposes the strings and catches buried in the fine print of advertising.
Copyright © 2006-2020. All rights reserved. Advertisements are copyrighted by their respective owners.