September 18, 2006

Gorilla Glue: Toughest Glue on Planet Earth*

Filed under: Retail — Edgar (aka MrConsumer) @ 6:03 am

Gorilla glue No one wants a weak glue. So it is a good thing we can buy Gorilla Glue which the maker claims is “the toughest glue on planet earth.”

Even on their website in answer to the question, “Is it really the Toughest Glue on Planet Earth,” they say “Gorilla Glue is an all purpose adhesive. If used correctly, it will bond just about anything and for just about forever. It is free of solvents and fillers which makes it both strong and versatile. There are some things that are just difficult to glue, such as certain plastics, but we are confident that once you’ve tried Gorilla Glue, you will be more than satisfied with the results.” [GorillaGlue.com FAQ, August 1, 2006]

So, pretty much, they are sticking to their claim. The makers of Elmer’s Glue, however, were not buying it. They challenged that advertised claim with the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau [NAD]. Elmer’s argued that “the toughest glue on planet earth” was a specific, superiority claim and wanted to see their substantiation.

According to NAD, Gorilla Glue provided no evidence to support its superiority claim, but offered this explanation:

*MOUSE PRINT: The “toughest glue” claim was mere puffery and “is so broad in scope, so general in nature, and so exaggerated in content, that no reasonable consumer would believe it to be a superiority claim.”

If that kind of logic were allowed to stand, then any advertiser could make specific claims about their products and defend those claims by in essence saying that a consumer would have to be an idiot to believe our advertising.

The NAD adhered to their set of interpretations of what constitutes a real claim and what constitutes puffery, and ruled against Gorilla Glue. They recommended discontinuing the claim on their packages and in advertising.

Gorilla is appealing the case, but somehow the “just kidding” disclaimer has not yet found its way onto the product.

1. I have used Gorilla Glue for several years in my home and business. I agree
    that it is the toughest and most versatile glue that I have ever used. From
    glueing wood to wood to plastic to plastic, and metal to metal, is is superior.
    Glueing is not a complicated process with Gorilla Glue. It is the best.
    J.A.

Comment by JAmmon — September 18, 2006 @ 9:18 am
  2. Gorilla Glue is an excellent adhesive, I used it on a metal to metal surface on the back of a chair and it has held where as super glue didn’t, also on glass and foam, the best I have tried.

Comment by gene tate — September 18, 2006 @ 12:59 pm
  3. If Gorilla glue is actually the toughest glur on the planet, then the maker should not say the claim is “so exaggerated in content, that no reasonable consumer would believe it to be a superiority claim”.

Too bad politicians can’t be held to the same standard.

Comment by W. L. HEAD — September 18, 2006 @ 3:48 pm
  4. I have used Gorilla Glue a number of times and depended on the claim, “The Toughest Glue on Earth” to be
    accurate. It was not accurate and I ended up with a mess. Truth in advertising? Where?

Comment by T.C. Young — September 19, 2006 @ 7:56 am
  5. I have a rather heavy wooden birdhouse that’s shaped like a
    church. Most of the structure is circular and hollow to
    accommodate the birds and their nest. It hangs by the steeple-
    at least it did until the first windy thunderstorm this summer.
    It separated midway down the steeple where it was glued to its
    flat wooden second floor. There’s very little surface on the
    edge of the circular steeple to apply glue but I used my old
    faithful Elmer’s since it was all I had and normally works
    fine. It lasted a week or two. My daughter insisted her Gorilla
    Glue would hold it. That’s been over two months ago.

Comment by Don Jeffrey — September 19, 2006 @ 10:45 pm
  6. Good thing JAmmon has tried every glue on the planet so he can verify that Gorilla Glue is indeed the strongest.

Comment by Matt — September 26, 2006 @ 8:42 am
  7. I’m glad someone does try to watch over the claims made in advertising.

I was surprised they went for the “too outrageous to be true” angle, though.

If it were my product, I think I would have just qualified what “toughest” meant.

(e.g. “Thoughest Glue On Planet Earth*” (*that we manufacture) or something else squarely in my control.)

Comment by Alan — September 26, 2006 @ 9:41 am
  8. I see several comments here about Gorilla Glue in support of its “toughest glue” claim. I’ve used Gorilla Glue and agree that it is a great product. The last time I purchased polyurethane glue, however, I saved a few pennies and bought Elmer’s Ultimate Glue. From what I can tell, there is no difference in bonding performance between the two. My guess is that Rhino Ultra provides comparable adhesion as well.

Do I believe Gorilla’s claim? No.

Should the be allowed to advertise that way? Probably not.

Does it influence my purchase? The first time it did; however, now that I see other polyurethane glues with similar performance, I look for the best value.

Comment by Derek — September 26, 2006 @ 11:17 am
  9. My 6-year-old son spotted the glue at Home Depot last month. “That can’t be true. How can they say that unless they’ve tried all the other glues to see which is strongest?”

If my 1st grader can spot the lie (exaggeration) right off, why has it taken so long for GG’s claim to be challenged? We adults are so jaded that we’re not offended by untruths anymore.

Comment by Mark — September 26, 2006 @ 3:34 pm
  10. The claim is almost certainly false and I was always bemused about why they hadn’t been sued yet. But I feel I ought to mention that I have a messenger type bag that broke at a plastic part that joins the shoulder strap to the bag. I glued it together with Gorilla glue. Based on prior experience with glues I expected it to fail pretty quickly. 3 years later it’s still holding. Over the years I’ve gradually increased the amount of weight I trust it to hold and now regularly carry my laptop plus folders of papers in it. I’m amazed. Probably not the strongest glue money can buy (surely the ‘binary’ epoxies are better) but the best personal experience I’ve ever had with glue.

Comment by Dan P — September 26, 2006 @ 5:25 pm
  11. Having just recently finished building out our basement, I needed a
    strong adhesive to put in some floor transitions. I bought and used
    Gorilla Glue. I was extremely disappointed.

Comment by Teddy — September 26, 2006 @ 5:42 pm
  12. I have found Gorilla Glue to be the best for gluing Gorillas.

Comment by Hank — September 27, 2006 @ 1:49 am
  13. Cheers to Derek; if you’re not satisified with the claim, you won’t buy it again.

Aside from the above, I think that this site has inadvertantly guided potential consumers from the little guy!

If Gorilla is better than Elmers, then they should be entitled to their claim. There is no patent/trademark issue here. They aren’t cliaming to be better than Elmers specifically; moreover, they are only advertising on their packaging. If this is all they can afford, then, more power to them for running a tight operation!

This posting would be much more relevant if the product sucks. It’s apparent that the product is functional here.

Why not focus on the scamsters like the car dealers in the next section (as opposed to producers that make competitive products which challenge the monopolies)?

After all, isn’t this the American entrepeneurial spirit?

[Don't get me wrong; if this product didn't bind, I'd be all over that $*!%]!!!

IAAL

Best,

Mr. Feasor

Comment by Mr. Feaor — September 27, 2006 @ 4:20 am
  14. I must be one of those idiot consumers who were gullible enough to believe their claim. Around
    here it is only sold in hardware stores which made the claim seem even more plausible. I am
    looking for my receipt right now to return my unopened bottle of Gorilla Glue. Besides, if it
    is that strong I probably could’nt get the bottle opened anyway. Right?

Comment by Sheri Clark — September 27, 2006 @ 7:11 am
  15. I am a furniture/cabinet builder as well as a general contractor. While I have
    have not used every glue on the planet I have used way more than the average
    person. Gorilla glue is indeed an extremely durable product that does exactly
    what I want it to. Do I believe its the toughest glue on the planet? Well… I
    am quite sure there are certain industrial adhesives that may fit that description.
    It is however a very durable product. I have used the Elmer’s equivalent and found its
    over all performance wanting. It’s kind of like believing Red Bull will indeed give you wings….

Comment by MrFeexit — September 27, 2006 @ 8:59 am
  16. I have used Gorilla glue for years, especially for outdoor projects. Gorilla glue is not water soluable, so
    it is great for outdoor. I built my own deck 4 years ago, and had a few decking boards with splits in them.
    I filled in the gaps with Gorilla glue and clamped it for 24 hours. You still can’t see where the
    splits were. Are there any Elmer’s users who can make that claim?

I won’t say that Gorilla Glue is this strongest on Earth for everything, but certainly for wood, it
    can’t be beat. I guarantee that anything Elmer’s can glue, Gorilla is just a strong or stronger. I
    admit, I haven’t had much luck with plastics, but the only thing I’ve found that works reliably on
    plastics is super glue or epoxy. Don’t even think about gluing plastics with Elmer’s.

My advice to Elmer’s, don’t waste your time and money fighting a superior product. Instead, put those
    resources to work trying to improve you product.

Until something better comes out, Gorilla Glue is a required element in my workshop.

Comment by Ken — September 27, 2006 @ 9:37 am
  17. I like Gorilla glue, too. It is easy to use and works great when the instructions are followed But, my dog like it better. It cost over $1000 to have it removed fomr his stomach and almost cost his life. Like anti-freeze you must keep this stuff away from pets. It is my feeling that this should be made clearer on the packaging. -LarryR

Comment by Larry Roberts — September 27, 2006 @ 9:40 am
  18. I tried Grrilla Glue on some old chairs that had come apart at the joints.

I followed the directions and it lasted 2 weeks. Elmers wood glue lasted longer.

Comment by David McCombs — September 27, 2006 @ 9:44 am
  19. My concern about Gorilla Glue, and one I would love it if you would investigate,
    it is deadly to dogs and doesn’t make that clear on the package.

One night my husband got up in the middle of the night and saw a large spot of glue on our
    oriental carpet. The contractor working on the house had left the Gorilla Glue out and our
    Siberian Husky had chewed the tube open. The package didn’t say anything about the glue
    being especially bad for pets, so his big worry was trying to clean the carpet.

He went on the internet and started Googling “Gorilla glue” to see if he could save my
    carpet. He found that not only was the carpet a lost cause, but that when a dog eats
    Gorilla Glue, the glue expands in his stomach to form a large benign tumor of glue that
    will kill him painfully if it isn’t taken out.

We went to the emergency vet. Our Husky was in the vet hospital for three days at a total
    cost of $1,500. The vet showed us the ball of glue, which was five inches in diameter.

The irony is, if that dog hadn’t destroyed my carpet, he might have died since the
    package said nothing about GG being hazardous to pets.

Comment by Chalicechick — September 27, 2006 @ 10:36 am
  20. I am a mosaicist and use Gorilla Glue often. It’s tough, indeed, and if you wipe it with a damp cloth before it bubbles, you’ll get good results.

Still, best is Marine Goop. But here’s a secret: all the Goops (except Marine) are exactly the same formula. Exactly.

Comment by dogfaceboy — September 27, 2006 @ 11:17 am
  21. I’ve tried every glue in the world and Gorilla Glue is the toughest.

Comment by Southpaw Dingo — September 27, 2006 @ 11:39 am
  22. Funny, no one ever had a problem with Barnum and Bailey’s “Greatest Show on Earth.”

Comment by PickSty — September 27, 2006 @ 11:50 am
  23. Gorilla Glue is by far the best glue available. End of story.

Comment by Brendan — September 27, 2006 @ 4:03 pm
  24. i can be trusted, my family has been gluing traditional objects as artisans for generations. i’ve tried a lot of glues, and inhaled a lot of them as well.

when i was younger i tried to get into the glue business, but it didn’t stick. we called our glue ‘promethean certainty,’ and our copy read ‘fie, consumer! behold the test of god’s own drippings!’ the company didn’t make it through the first year.

i miss the ridiculous blarney of old advertising.

Comment by old timer — September 28, 2006 @ 1:50 am
  25. This entire conversation is convincing me that I need to go buy some Gorilla Glue.

Comment by Meesh — September 28, 2006 @ 12:43 pm
  26. Try using this stuff where there is little humidity (Arizona) and it’s hold will become EXTREMELY limited.

Comment by avey — September 30, 2006 @ 10:09 pm
  27. Gorilla Glue IS tough but DO NOT allow it to drip! There is no solvent that
    will remove the dried detritus. It is an unsightly mess!

Comment by de Maria — October 2, 2006 @ 11:27 am
  28. The one thing about Gorilla Glue that is the most important note of which no one has yet mentioned is that you must use water as a catalyst to get the glue to perform. I would bet that half the people using it unsuccesfully are not using water as a catalyst and therefore the glue fails… I made this mistake because I had use all types of glues but never one that required water as a catalyst. Motto: Read the instructions even if you think your an expert.

Comment by Miles — October 2, 2006 @ 5:33 pm
  29. If you use it appropriately, Gorilla Glue is absolutely one of the finest adhesive products ever widely sold. You’ve got to read the instructions though, folks. No manufacturer can warranty incompetence.

Comment by Timagination — October 3, 2006 @ 11:21 pm
  30. I seen the product displayed with a handle glued to a concrete block. I didn’t notice the “Toughest glue in the world” advertisement. I was empressed with what I saw and purchased the product. From past experience, I don’t tend to put much reliance into statements like that. I believe that to be “puffing”. I think it is a great product that I usually have on hand.

Comment by S.T. — October 6, 2006 @ 10:24 am
  31. If you want a glu that will WORK try Rhino Glue FIX.
    I bought it at the State Fair, and it is great!!
    Tried all glues on my microwave handle that didn’t work,
    and this has held for months.
    I got the bottle and it has Rhinoglue.com for website.

Comment by CL — October 8, 2006 @ 1:44 pm
  32. I’ve got some news for ya’ll who say “I made a mess” It is because youdon’t know how to use it. and elmers glue is just pissed because they are losing customers.

Comment by Annoumose — October 12, 2006 @ 8:23 am
  33. For wood to wood applications Elmer’s Carpenters wood glue is still the best. For other materials, a poly glue is better. I found the new Elmer’s ultimate glue to be a better product than Gorilla, foams less – assuming you follow the instructions. Is it true they use Gorilia’s to make that glue? No wonder they are endangered!!

Comment by Tony — October 12, 2006 @ 10:59 am
  34. I had a table electric grill whose ceramic base was broken into many pieces.
    The repair had to be waterproof and resistant to high heat. Gorilla glue was great.
    It has held for over 2 years of grilling and being placed in the dishwasher. I have also used it in re-attaching loose soles to shoes and reinserting straps in sandals that have pulled out. Be sure to clean off the excess ooze, before it hardens, for a neat finished product.

Comment by Sandy Behr — October 15, 2006 @ 5:35 pm
  35. I’m sure some of the Commercial Glues used in construction are far stronger than “ANY” over the counter products, of course many of them also require breathing masks and other safety gear to use!

Comment by matrix — October 18, 2006 @ 3:02 pm
  36. Gorilla glue is horrible! My regret is that I now have a beautiful chess table with
    many hours of labor invested, and I expect it will fall apart in the future.

I have used yellow glue for more than 20 years with a great deal of success. It has
    never failed in any of my projects. It was suggested to me by someone at the lumber
    yard that I really need to try Gorilla glue. To give the glue a test I built the
    drawer frames a little larger so that I could cut several strips with glue joints
    in them. I then gave the strips a tug or twist to see which would break first, the
    glue or the wood. I have tried this many times in the past with pieces that are trimmed
    off and the glue (yellow) joint has never failed, the wood always breaks first. To
    my horror the “Toughest Glue on Planet Earth” failed with very little force.

My experience is that the phrase “Toughest Glue on Planet Earth” applies more to its
    application than its holding power. As the glue expands it seeps out, and must be
    cleaned. A short time later as it continues to expand and seep out, it needs to be
    cleaned again and again.

Clamp time is also much longer thaan with a typical yellow glue. Woodworking for me is
    a hobby that I do on weekends, so my time is limited. The wait time with Gorilla glue
    is 3-4 times longer than I’m used to and therefore significantly slows down my progress.

I will never use the “Toughest Glue on Planet Earth” again. It is more expensive,
    more difficult to use, takes longer to clamp, and provides a weaker bond.

Comment by Paul Cunningham — December 1, 2006 @ 11:38 am
  37. hey i am doing my science fair on wood glues and which holds the most weight, I
    am including Gorilla Glue as one of my brands, along with Titebond, Elmer’s, and
    Rhino. If anyone has any ideas on something to measure them with, or about their
    experiences with any of these brands on bonding wood on wood, I would like to
    know. I’m going to see if Gorilla glue really is the toughest glue on planet earth

Comment by Abbie — December 3, 2006 @ 11:12 pm
  38. I’m going a Science Fair project on which glues will hold the most wieght. I need all the information i can get on it.

Comment by Ashlyn — December 7, 2006 @ 10:52 am
  39. thanks guys… ive read ” dont buy it” and ” do buy it” now im even more confused… u use it on applications like microwave handles and bird houses… im looking for something that will glue my side view mirror on my car back on to withstand great winds for hours… all of you are useless. im going to stick with a screw hole and a solid screw to keep it intact.. and i suggest you do the same

Comment by mike — January 25, 2007 @ 5:02 pm
  40. “Toughest” is not quantifiable – that’s probably why they use the term. If someone
    were to say “bonds best” or “most waterproof” – that would be testable and verifiable

But to say “toughest” – is it the toughest to get off clothes? Is it not chewable (as in
    “toughest cut of steak?” How can you measure that?

Comment by wnev — January 31, 2007 @ 8:28 pm
  41. Try any of the Amazing Goop products. I’ve tested them head to head on how much force it takes to pull various glued objects apart and G.G. fails on all substances to hold as well. It als is almost as strong on wood, but way weaker on glass and plastics. Also, it’s technically a capped isocyanate, a toxic substance which many people are permanently sensitized to and there’s that foaming thing. Yuk! Cute Goirlla though, just not the toughest or best adhesive on planet earth or even Home Depot’s shelves. Not Impressed!

Comment by D. Evarts — February 23, 2007 @ 5:53 pm
  42. My cocker spaniel/blue heeler Odie ate Gorilla Glue about a month ago. At first he was vomiting and then he seemed alright .. Slowly over the month he has quit eating and gotten really picking about what he eats. We’ve taken him to the Vet to get it checked out about the Gorilla Glue and eventually had to get it removed.

Just wanted to share what I know now. Gorilla Glue is not toxic and will do most of it’s expanding within the first hour. The first vet said his stomach acids would eventually break the thing down. After stressing out for a month we got the glue removed. He ate about a teaspoon and it expanded to the size of a softball. He has an cut about 6-8 inches long. He’s on a liquid diet until next Thursday.

Comment by Sara Stinson — April 27, 2007 @ 3:25 pm
  43. you know if you people would just read the instructions you would not have so many problems.. first of all you do need water to make the glue work… otherwise you have FAILURE… second you wouldnt have oozing if you just wouldnt use soooo darn much.. the instructions says a thin film is enough… thirdly it does have on the box.. WARNING: Keep out of reach of children and animals. Harmful or fatal if swallowed… so people DONT let your dogs eat the stuff… but you know what… if you dont like it then dont use it.. all the more to you..

Comment by js — June 5, 2007 @ 8:56 pm
  44. GG should be out of the way from kids and pets… REGARDLESS!

Comment by Melanie — June 13, 2007 @ 11:39 am
  45. As an emergency veterinarian, I agree that Gorilla Glue might be wise to list on their label “The Deadliest Stuff On The Planet.” No one could imagine what this stuff does to a dog’s stomach, and how quickly. The big, volleyball-sized perfect casting of the shape of a dog’s stomach made of yellow spongy hardened glue is horrifying. The huge ulcerations in the stomach lining are also horrifying. And as careful as we all try to be, the fact is that dogs do get into things, dogs do eat stupid stuff, and we don’t have eyes in the back of our heads. If you do buy Gorilla Glue, please, please, please keep it locked up out of any possible reach of dogs or kids. It is fatal unless you catch it very quickly after ingestion, and surgery is performed almost immediately.

Comment by kasie — June 18, 2007 @ 11:50 am
  46. Latest edition of Fine Woodworking Magazine did a side by side comparison of several wood glues. Applied stress to glue joints to see which glues failed and at what pressure.

Gorilla glue (and polyurethane glues in general) was the weakest of all the tested samples.

Tightbond Premium was the strongest.

This seems consistent with my personal experience as well. Gorilla Glue has a pretty package and it might be ok for microwave oven handles but it is not useful for wood.

WCL

Comment by WCL Tampa — June 29, 2007 @ 4:29 am
  47. EDIT to Previous post.

Sorry I just double checked. The correct name of the strongest glue for wood joints was

Titebond™ III Ultimate Wood Glue (the green label)

Comment by WCL Tampa — June 29, 2007 @ 4:38 am
  48. I use all kinds of glues for whatever project I am doing. I think I have at least 8 types in cabinet above the workbench. The thing about glue is just because it works on wood doesn’t mean it works on other things. That is why there are dozens of different glues to use. Whatever you are gluing whether it be plastics, metals or woods make sure that the glue is meant to bond that material, read the instructions, follow the instructions and you should be fine.

All glue is bad to ingest, period. You shouldn’t ingest anything that isn’t food, didn’t your parents teach not to stick whatever you see in your mouth? If you have kids, animals or people who don’t recognize danger in your home then lock anything that is not food up. Frankly at this moment I have a dog who won’t touch anything that I don’t give him and say is alright and a puppy that is supervised or crated while being trained.

You guys need to do more research because gorilla glue is quite clear don’t leave around animals or children, use water, use small amount, wear gloves and old clothes and test before using. If you go their website you will find it also says under the first aid section that you can’t remove it from hands or clothes and to contact poison control immediately if ingested, heck it even gives a private poison control number to call 24/7. All info I have read is the polyurethanes glues aren’t as strong as PVA glues on wood but try bonding plastic with PVA glues and you will see how strong it is. Use the right glue for the right job and follow instructions or don’t complain.

To the child who is testing glues, try taking several materials say wood, metal and plastic and sample each glue on each material by gluing together along with a handle attached properly to each. Then hang each piece and attach different weights until it pulls apart. Then you can show it by attaching the max safe weight to each example. Make sure you follow all the directions for each glue, wear gloves and have an adult help you. Best of luck.

Comment by Adam — September 9, 2007 @ 3:02 pm
  49. Come on..it’s a decent glue. World’s GREATEST maybe not but then again I have a life.
    Works Very well with repair of foam RC aircraft. Fill gaps, holds strong, sandable what more could you ask for.

Comment by Mike — September 9, 2007 @ 4:54 pm
  50. My 8 month old puppy ate Elmer’s Ultimate Glue last month. He probably ate about a tablespoon and vomited a large yellow mass immediately. We thought he expelled all the glue that was injested. As the week went on after the incident, my puppy could not eat. He would bring the food back up after trying to eat. I took him to the vet and he had to have surgery. My vet took xrays and his stomach was full of the hardened glue. The surgery cost $2,000.00 and he almost lost his life. I contacted Elmer’s company and explained that there is no warning on the bottle of glue about pets and the danger of eating the glue. I felt the company should have done something because of there not being any warning on the packaging. So if you have a pet, beware of your pet eating the Elmer’s Ultimate Glue.

Comment by Beverly — October 24, 2007 @ 9:47 pm
  51. I’m shocked people like Gorilla Glue. I’ve used it twice and think it sucks. First it had a tough time holding a metal to metal connection. Most recently I used it for a wood project and it expands a bit, lifting one piece of wood away from the other and oozing out between the pieces. Took me an hour to chip it away.

Comment by Jim L — November 15, 2007 @ 5:01 pm
  52. Yes, you need to get the catalytic reaction going with a very small amount of water. And yes, it expands as it cures. That’s the way it works. So you do have to clamp the objects being glued into position before the expansion begins–probably something like 10-15 minutes. That’s plenty of time and about the length of time you have to get your clamps in place when using the usual woodworking glues. My own experience is that when there’s enough stress on a wood-to-wood joint that Titebond or similar won’t hold, I then go back into the joint, brushing as much Gorilla Glue into the crack as I can (not the best way to glue a wood joint, but in these cases the only remedy possible other than breaking apart all the other joints that did hold and essentially destroying the object). In all cases where I’ve been reduced to using this remedy for bad cabinet-making it has worked. Therefore, quite aside from claims of “toughest,” which is an unveriable claim to begin with as several readers have already pointed out, I highly recommend this glue for tough-to-glue wood joints where Titebond and similar have failed. Follow the directions; and use clamps.

Comment by Patrick Gleeson — December 10, 2007 @ 5:00 pm
  53. Come on people be smart here. If you let your dogs and kids play with glue you are STUPID. Duh it is harmful to them i mean use common sense. If it foams then no DUH it should be kept away from children and pets. I mean god gave MOST of us brains USE THEM.

Comment by Andrew — January 25, 2008 @ 5:34 pm
  54. I think Gorilla Glue is the very best glue on eartn!! I built a boat 3′ wide by 10′ long out of 1/4″ cabinet cd plywood. I’ve left it outside in the rain, the sun, the fog, the snow and I’ve used it consistently as my fishing boat which when launched with 3 adult persons, all their fishing gear, a 60 lb. trolling battery and troling motor it has served me well with no leaks and no breakage for 1 year. I used the “stitch and glue” method and no screws or nails. Believe me, I’m very tough on my boat. It defies my every effort to break a glue joint. I even dropped it off of the pickup truck that I was using to haul it to the lake. After a tumble at 40 MPH on a gravel road, it went fishing without a leak or a crack. Good stuff!! I cant wait to try out your tape for seam tape on my next boat project.
    Mudhole
    2/24/08.

Comment by Mudhole — February 24, 2008 @ 2:10 pm
  55. Can someone please help me,Im not here to debate whether Gorilla Glue works or not !! I need to know how to remove it after it has dried !!!! My prescription sunglasses broke and a girl at work said DONT WORRY I HAVE GORILLA GLUE AT HOME AND I CAN FIX THEM!! So she took them home well,,,she said it didnt hold ((and it was the nose piece that had broken(the glasses in two)) well the problem is in her attempt to fix for me she got the glue on the one eye glass….The prescription sunglasses could be repaired I could pop the lenses out and get new frames but with the glue on the lens I cant use them….Does any one know what will remove the glue without harming the tinted lens ????Thank you in advance!!!!!

Comment by Ginger — March 3, 2008 @ 8:11 pm
  56. Sorry, but the only way i have ever found is to scrape it off with a razor blade. So in this case, I think you may be out of luck.

Comment by Jonny — April 13, 2008 @ 10:04 am
  57. all polurethane glues are the same they all have polyurethane in them i hope i can end all this talk about glue

Comment by chris — May 15, 2008 @ 9:05 pm
  58. I have gorilla glue on my kitchen counters and want to get it off. Does anyone know how?
    I already tried acetone, Goof Off and Goo Gone. I’m afraid to scrape my formica counter.

Comment by Monique — June 15, 2008 @ 3:55 pm
  59. Elmer’s Ultimate glue took out an ad saying their glue was 40% stronger than Gorilla. I don’t think they could make such a claim unless it were true.

Comment by Jerry — July 16, 2008 @ 3:33 pm
  60. My husband makes fun of me because I am always trumpeting Gorilla Glue. So far I have had glued my concrete bird bath back together (3 years ago), glued the handle back onto the microwave, repaired a plastic door inside the fridge, and glued ceramic pots back together. Then there was the espadrille shoes, pearls back into their jewelry, legs back onto the wooden dresser, repaired a splintered wood stool, and the list goes on. I will say this, today I just bought the Gorilla Glue which dries white ( the yellow is unsightly if you over pour ) and in my hot living room in florida, it wasnt reacting as normal. So I moved the project into a cool room and it seems fine. SuperGlue was the so called miracle of my generation, and over the years I have been disappointed by it 150% of the time. But I have now discovered Super Glue GEL which I also like for delicate china repairs. They should have come up with the GEL concept YEARS ago.
    PS> Gorilla Glue does NOT come out of clothes. Just confirmed that today. :^(

Comment by gluenut — July 26, 2008 @ 6:50 pm
  61. A solvent called “Goof Off” will remove Gorilla Glue (I’d use a scraper first to debulk the mass, where practical. It has removed almost everything I’ve thrown it at in five years of use. It’s grweat for remving labels, ad will even remove the plastic-ink-screened label on many containers like detergent bottles and Folger’s plastic tins (removing plastic from plastic, leaving a pristine surface is a challenge, but it manages quite nicely!)

To preserve the underlying surface, I suggest using the barest minimum – *lightly* moisten a paper towel and use that to barely dampen the surface. If it doesn’t completely work immediately, give it 1-3 minutes to work, rather than applying it more heavily before trying to remove it It’s a mixture of various solvents, and the more potent ones seem to be more volatile, so I wouldn’t give it much more than 3 minutes (but the less volatile solvents keep most adhesives from resticking, when the more volatile solvents are largely gone — for a while)

Of course, it’s not very healthy stuff, and I’d wear gloves (and maybe an activated charcoal respirator) if using it for more than a small job, depending on how cautious you are. Still it works, and leaves no trace.

Comment by Orpheus — September 5, 2008 @ 10:26 pm
  62. I recently used gorilla glue on a broken plastic tray for my printer. According to the directions on the bottle, I applied water to one surface and glue to the other, and clamped it together overnight. I had my doubts that it would hold up since it took quite a bit of strain on the glued joint to snap the tray back onto the printer. The glued joint held up and I am quite impressed with strength of the joint. As explained in another post, don’t forget to apply water to one of the surfaces to be glued.

Comment by John — January 8, 2009 @ 9:04 pm
  63. Gorilla Glue stinks on ice. I’ve used on several things from furniture to plastics to marine hardware and the stuff is hard to work with – it expands upon first application and makes a mess. Over time it dries out, crumbles and loses strength…and for an application in any kind of water-borne environment it’s absolutely worthless. This stuff is hype. I’m sure if you wanted to hold a couple of pieces of wood together it would be OK. Call me old fashoined but what about Crazy Glue??? I still have the bottle around cause I hate to waste the money – but I never use it. There’s way better glues out there only a few feet fom the checkout line at Home Depot. Don’t belive the hype.

Comment by curt — June 5, 2009 @ 10:00 pm
  64. I bought this glue thinking it would be great glue for around the house needs. Turns out this glue is crap. I’ve used it on toys, wood, cups and the vehicles and doesn’t hold up over time. Will never buy again. States on bottle” For the Toughest Jobs on Planet Earth” Ha-Ha!

Comment by Bruce — July 21, 2009 @ 2:57 am
  65. I puchased Gorilla wood glue & super glue to repair a chair & a porcelain statue. I used Gorilla super glue on the porcelain & it failed to bond. I made several attempts at it & then gave up. I purchased a bottle of Rhino glue. The bottle ad reads “Glues Virtually anything!” & “The Last Glue You’ll Ever Need!”. My wife’s porcelain is now in one peice. Both glues’ main ingredient is Cyanoacrylate. With my experience I’ll Stick (no pun intended) to Rhino glue.

Comment by Mel L. — July 22, 2009 @ 3:22 pm
  66. People have used it an it works… why are there people who say GG fails…? Because they didn’t do it right.

Comment by TheJimster — August 2, 2009 @ 11:14 am
  67. “I have used Gorilla Glue for several years in my home and business. I agree
    that it is the toughest and most versatile glue that I have ever used. From
    glueing wood to wood to plastic to plastic, and metal to metal, is is superior.
    Glueing is not a complicated process with Gorilla Glue. It is the best.
    J.A.
    Comment by JAmmon — September 18, 2006 @ 9:18 am”

Old argument is old.

Comment by MaslowK — August 10, 2009 @ 4:43 pm
  68. i was repairing my eye glasses and got gorilla glue on my lens, is there something i can get to remove this glue are have i ruined them forever?

Comment by bobbie — August 22, 2009 @ 5:41 am
  69. I just bonded 1.25 acrylic plastic together to make a desk…amazing. I looked at others and decided on the gorilla glue and I am very satisfied. Absolutely Amazing.

Comment by ken — September 24, 2009 @ 6:55 pm
  70. I have read all the above amazing comments, but am still wondering if Gorilla Glue works for sticking the hem of a carpet AND for sticking it to the floor or underlay?

Comment by LISA — November 26, 2009 @ 9:53 am
  71. I used elmer,s wood glue to glue a dresser drawer that did not last for three days. As a matter of fact iv,e never bonded anything with it that lasted to me and my opinion it sucks. the end

Comment by Tracy — December 3, 2009 @ 4:41 pm
  72. My table saw does not have a disclaimer about pets nor does my automobile tire. That argument is lacking in good judgement. No chemical that is used should be eaten. My Gorilla glue has the following disclaimer: This product contains cyanoacrylate. Will bond skin in seconds. Do not swallow or inhale vapors. Immerse bonded skin in warm soapy water and gently ease apart. Acetone or nail polish remover containing acetone will help un-stick skin. For eyelid bonding, consult a physician. KEEP OUT OF CHILDREN’S REACH. They should add pets? I use it regularly in my shop with excelent results. Read the instructions. A thin layer with light clamping prseeure on a flat surface. It does not fill gaps, infact where there are gaps the joint is weaker. The apparent filling is just the foaming action of the glue and isnt strong at all. It is tough and durable. I also use Elmers wood glue for gluing wood on flat surfaces and have no problem. Use Gofilla glue where it is needed and regular white wood glue where it is practical and there will be no problema at all.

Comment by Benjamin — December 3, 2009 @ 7:33 pm
  73. apparentley none of you has tried rhino glue!!!It’s the toughest glue in the world by far!!!!lol

Comment by chris — March 18, 2011 @ 9:21 am