Please Support Us

Support Consumer World

August 31, 2015

Hotels.com Rewards Readers of Fine Print

Filed under: Humor,Internet,Sweepstakes — Edgar (aka MrConsumer) @ 5:19 am

In a twist, an Internet company is rewarding TV viewers who take the time to read the fine print in one of its commercials.

Last month, Hotels.com decided it has high time that TV viewers stopped fast forwarding their DVRs through their commercials. So it created a sweepstakes that required people to pause the recorded program so they could read the rules of the contest including how to enter.

The commercial only ran for a week. During that time, how many people do you think paused the commercial and actually entered the sweepstakes for a free trip?

350.

ADV

1. I look at that and wonder how anyone could read it if they didn’t record it. That’s ridiculous. Ads go by so fast.

Comment by Deanna — August 31, 2015 @ 7:30 am
  2. There could have been more people who paused to read the legal copy, but were not interested in winning a free trip. I am unlikely to enter a sweepstakes for a free trip because I am not interested in trips.

Perhaps if the sweepstakes was for a monetary award or some kind of useful merchandise I would have jumped on the challenge. I don’t watch much TV these days so I wouldn’t have caught this.

I did get a laugh out of the text though.

Comment by Wayne R — August 31, 2015 @ 7:39 am
  3. Only 350 entries is pretty sad. I never saw the commercial. Did they attempt to communicate it over social media or other platforms? If not, then it is a bit of a marketing Fail.

Comment by Marc — August 31, 2015 @ 7:56 am
  4. I’m guessing many fast forwarded until they got to the fine print and ignored the rest of the commercial 🙂

Comment by Peter — August 31, 2015 @ 7:57 am
  5. Just enter the sweepstakes and be hounded until the next ice age by daily calls about a “free trip” you have won!

Comment by Rick — August 31, 2015 @ 8:30 am
  6. Or they didn’t have a Twitter account and didn’t want to create one just for this contest.

Comment by Gail — August 31, 2015 @ 9:53 am
  7. Even if I paused it I don’t think I could read that small print.

Comment by max — August 31, 2015 @ 10:31 am
  8. I don’t have TV and don’t pay attention to ads on the internet. I also don’t do social media. Keeps me sane.

Comment by cgbascom — August 31, 2015 @ 12:00 pm
  9. I could read it on my 60 inch HDTV but I’m not sure others with smaller non-HD tvs could do that.

Comment by Ronnie — September 2, 2015 @ 12:30 am
  10. If I had seen the commercial and was interested in pursuing the contest, my satellite DVR puts a big bar across the bottom of the screen blocking about 20% of the screen/text. Same thing if I were going to try to read the fine print on a auto lease commercial. Or a drug commercial.

Comment by bobl — September 2, 2015 @ 2:14 pm
  11. So, the contest is only open to users with DVR’s? I know technically it is not, but their voice over does state “Use your DVR to read them [the rules]”

Comment by KS — September 3, 2015 @ 3:44 pm
  12. That just proves no one can read all that small print in such a short time.

Comment by Shawna — September 12, 2015 @ 7:08 pm

Mouse Print exposes the strings and catches buried in the fine print of advertising.
Copyright © 2006-2018. All rights reserved. Advertisements are copyrighted by their respective owners.