mouseprint: fine print of advertising
Go to Homepage

Subscribe to free weekly newsletter

Mouse Print*
is a service of
Consumer World
Follow us both on Twitter:

Updated every Monday!   Subscribe to free weekly newsletter.

December 14, 2015

Holy Cow, How Wise is Milkwise?

Filed under: Food/Groceries,Health — Edgar (aka MrConsumer) @ 6:03 am

Have you checked out the dairy aisle lately? There are all these newfangled milk products on the shelf, all claiming in one way or another to be better than plain old milk.

One such product in New England stores is Hood (brand) Milkwise.


It’s got one-third the sugar, almost half the calories, and 50 percent more calcium than even reduced fat milk. How did they do that… put the cows on a low fat and low carb diet?

The answer is in the fine print.


Milkwise ingredients

They watered it down — water is now the first ingredient — plus they added calcium and sugar. That is why it is called a “milk beverage” instead of milk. This product is reminiscent of Trop50, the “orange juice beverage” that claimed 50% fewer calories because it is basically orange juice diluted with a lot of water.

But the Milkwise label makes it seem so healthy. How can this be? The trick is that they left out one key attribute of milk in the comparison — protein. We’ve taken the liberty of filling in the blanks.


Milkwise protein

Milkwise only has one-quarter the protein of regular milk. Expressed the other way, regular milk has four times the protein of Milkwise.

Maybe it should be called Milk-not-so-wise.

Thanks to Dr. W who was driving along the highway in Saugus, Massachusetts and saw a Milkwise billboard with a mother and child. She thought the ad was suggesting that this was a healthier milk product.

Share this story:

• • •


  1. How will an ordinary person know what is and what is not in the product. Just take a look at any product and see the ingredients listed. Can’t pronounce most of the words.

    Comment by Walter Ward — December 14, 2015 @ 8:45 am
  2. Milk Beverage!?!?!?

    This screams Frozen Dairy Desert all over again!

    Comment by Richard — December 14, 2015 @ 11:31 am
  3. They should call it Waterwise.

    Comment by Bearcat44 — December 14, 2015 @ 7:00 pm
  4. Nice catch. This beverage seems worse than skim milk, and is probably more expensive. As soon as I saw water on the ingredients list I would have put that product back on the shelf.

    Comment by Wayne R — December 14, 2015 @ 8:12 pm
  5. Once it gets a foothold, it will be “down-sized for your carrying convenience.”

    Comment by Marty — December 14, 2015 @ 8:18 pm
  6. it will be “down-sized for your carrying convenience.”

    For your milk on the go refreshment activities!

    Comment by Just_Gerald — December 15, 2015 @ 7:43 am
  7. Simple math based on the protein ratios suggests that the product is 75% water and 25% milk. Such a dilution would drop the sugar content to 3g which explains why they add sugar to get up to 8g. I suppose that the gellan gum is added as a thickener so the mixture seems more like milk than water. It would be simpler and likely cheaper just to dilute regular skim milk with water and chew a calcium tablet!

    Comment by John — December 16, 2015 @ 6:11 pm
  8. Next step: make it concentrated, like citrus beverage products. Reconstitute it with one part concentrate, three parts water. Ingredient of the concentrate: whole milk.

    (I remember seeing something like this in California around 1970, except that the reconstituted product was actually something resembling real milk. Anyone else remember it?)

    Comment by phred — December 18, 2015 @ 9:37 am
  9. Next up: Milkwise diluted baby formula. These guys would make Nestle proud.

    Comment by JJ — January 3, 2016 @ 5:41 am
  10. The original Milkwise actually has 3g of protein, leading to the (still ridiculous) calculation of ~38% milk. With the other 62% being mostly water and other junk like added sugar.

    They insist (when I asked their customer service people) that this product was created to “Meet the demand of certain consumers”, which sounds like PR doubletalk to me. Even if this was the case, my biggest problem is that they are trying to market this as milk not a “milk-beverage”. The word Milk is in huge letters all over the box, its in the exact same container that milk has been coming in for decades, its sold right next to milk, its made by a very large milk producer.

    Their sales are driven by consumer ignorance.

    Comment by Mike — January 4, 2016 @ 8:20 am

Comments RSS

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by: WordPressPrivacy Policy
Mouse Print exposes the strings and catches buried in the fine print of advertising.
Copyright © 2006-2020. All rights reserved. Advertisements are copyrighted by their respective owners.